We are often so afraid of situations that we prefer to hide them and say nothing, but simple questions from a coaching perspective will help us in our day-to-day situations. Remember that coaching does not try to form or offer advice, as part of the idea that the client has all the resources necessary to achieve their goals.
With these sample coaching conversations we share some examples of how you work in job coaching sessions, which will prove that they ask powerful questions that make the client think about their own actions.
I want to improve the relationships I have in my company
To improve relations within your company, you must consider number of points:
- What do you think your image is with your colleagues?
- What actions do you have to take to be able to reverse or improve it?
- What can you and cannot change from these relationships?
- How does the general environment of the company affect your professional relationships?
I want to earn more money
Undoubtedly, the increase in remuneration is something that we all want but firstly, I propose to reflect on the following:
- What real options do you have to get it?
- What merits have you accumulated to get that salary increase?
- What ideas you have thought about to get it?
- Who can directly influence the decision in salary increase?
- Who could support you to get it?
I want to be valued more in my company (my boss and colleagues)
To increase your value within the company you must ask yourself:
- What are you expecting from others?
- What do you think others are expecting from you?
- What would be your ideal scenario for this to happen?
- How are you going to get it?
I want my company to provide me with more training
Surely, training is a fundamental aspect for our adequate performance. If you have thought about it, what are your answers for the following questions:
- What are your expected results from the training that the company will provide to you?
- Are you in the right place to access this training?
- What professional skills can you put into action to achieve this?
- Is the training that you will request aligned to your professional goals in the company?
I want to create my own company
To begin such adventure, think about:
- What is your dream project and what is real about it?
- Have you analyzed well all the market options?
- Have you sought professional advice to support you in the process?
- What will happen if things do not go the way you want? What is your alternative plan (plan B)?
I want to change jobs or functions within my company
To change jobs and / or functions within the company, I am inviting you to take some time and think about:
- What aspects are you willing to give up to change jobs and which are irrevocable?
- Why that change is so important to you?
- What are the indispensable factors that your ideal position or department must have?
- What actions can you take to achieve your goal?
- Have you considered the skills that you need to fit into that new job?
I want to get a fixed/indefinite contract in the company, what can I do?
You have all the rights to wish for a greater security in your job, and I suggest that you consider:
- Is this a plausible goal to achieve?
- What are your motivations to achieve it?
- Who do you have with the company to help you achieve it?
- What ideas you already have to get it?
- Can you do more to demonstrate high performance and be considerate?
I want to get a job
Before a laborious search like the one that you are carrying out, reflect:
- Have you done everything in your hand to get it or could you have done something else?
- What ideas are you thinking of to achieve your ideal professional life?
- What are the skills that will make you stand out from the crowd?
- When are you going to start and what actions will you take?
I want a change of job
For a change of sector like the one you propose, I would like you to think carefully about:
- What motivates you to look for opportunities in that sector?
- Have you evaluated the requirements to gain labor access in this sector?
- Have you evaluated the expectations you generate regarding this new labor sector?
- What alternatives would you have in case you didn’t get it?
- Who are the people you know that could help you?
I want to work on what I like
To be able to work on what you are excited about, think about the following thoughts:
- What would motivate you the most about this new job?
- How much effort are you willing to put into it?
- How can you overcome the obstacles that stand in your way?
- Who do you know that can help you get it?
- Have you thought about the activities / functions that stimulate you professionally?
I want to receive my unemployment benefits
To access unemployment benefits, I invite you to think:
- Have you collected all the necessary information?
- Have you valued if your expectations fit the reality?
- Whether you get it or not, have you thought about what you’re going to do?
- Have you planned on where you are going to use the benefit?
What am I going to do in order not to lose my job during the difficult times?
In the face of uncertainty, I recommend that you reflect on:
- What qualities make you indispensable in your work and how you can get more out of them?
- What other alternatives can you think of to keep your job?
- Who can provide you with support in the company?
- If you lose your job, what options would you have?
And don’t forget to check our happiness dashboard.